Friday, April 26, 2013

Hanger Orthotics

Gerrit had an appt. to get casted for a bigger leg brace. It was nice because Emma played at Brittany Sedley's house so Gerrit and I could have some time together. We had a wonderful talk about how proud I am at the young man he is becoming and what is important to keep in mind as he gets older. We talked about going to BYU, living on his own, mission, being a good friend, and the wonderful traits that make him so special. It was a great day. I always love the sweet moments when I can just talk with my kids.

Steve is the name of our orthopedist at Hanger. We love his personality and expertise. Today after he made a cast of Gerrit's foot, he took us on a tour of the back rooms where they make the braces.

It was fun for Gerrit, and I, to see how they take the cast, fill it with plaster and make a mold of Gerrit's foot. Then they heat a piece of plastic in a big oven, one they joked also makes pizzas at lunchtime, and wrapped it around the plaster mold of the foot. They cut out the shape of the and discarded the rest. Then they apply a paper film with a design that the kids get to pick. Gerrit picked a digital camo print. Then it goes to the sanding room, then the sewing room to make the straps. I thought the sewing machine they have is awesome. Steve said it is a hundred years old and is the best machine.

Gerrit really liked to see how his brace was made, he also liked to see all the different types of braces. We saw amputee prosthetics, and a special $7,000 brace that Steve was making for a man with Polio.
Thanks Steve and Kent for the tour. We learned a lot!























No comments: