Thursday, April 25, 2013

Many changes in 2013

the end of 2012 was a very special time for me. a time that I don't think I will ever forget. 

First I would like to say that I always knew I wanted to have a big family.  Many of you know I have two beautiful bio children, Gerrit and Emma. Due to blood conditions, Severe post pardum depression, and a second C-section that I wasn't numb for...YIKES (this will be another post)...we were only able to have two kids. 
This is something I have struggled with for many years because I physically could not have the big family I always wanted. It wasn't until the end of 2012 that I really had the feeling that we needed to "bigger" our family.  
I started toying with the idea of adoption. I kept the feelings to myself for quite a while before I was brave enough, or the Lord timing had finally come, to tell Garth what I had been feeling.
We were at a family friend's wedding in Southern California in Dec. We were sitting in the sealing room and the Spirit was so strong. I can honestly say that I have never felt the Spirit and the presence of Angels as strong as I felt that day in the Temple. The thought came to me very clear that the time has come. I needed to share my thoughts with Garth. I had the most overwhelming feeling of peace and assurance that this was what the Lord was calling me to do.
I poured my heart out to Garth on the drive home and to my surprise, he felt much the same way I did! Was the Lord working of both of us? I am sure He probably was!
In January we called around and found a Foster/Adoption agency that we both felt was the right one to help us find our kids. It has been a very fast four months of certification classes, CPR/first aid training, home inspections  interviews, more safety training classes and finally a profile made of our family for the social workers to use in searching for potential matches.
Right now, we are finished with all the training and certifications we need, and are waiting for our social worker to complete our profile. Once that is done, which should be any day, we will start looking at potential matches and move forward with placement. 
Garth and I have felt from the beginning that there are several children out there that should be part of our family. We are looking for a sibling group. We know there is at least two, possibly four!! We are in constant prayer and trust that the Lord is in charge. I feel so humbled by this call and I only hope I can make a positive impact on these kid's lives. 
Gerrit and Emma have been on board from the very first day we presented them with the possibility of more siblings. We have changed around both their rooms, buying bunk beds and a crib (we are open to babies).  We have a mini van, which Garth refuses to call "his". 
We pray for these children daily, and are anxiously awaiting the day we can meet them.

I have such a strong testimony of the Lord's timing. I look back and see that He had been preparing us for the last couple years. We have moved into a bigger house, I am not working anymore, Garth has a good job, we are surrounded by friends who have either adopted or been adopted, and many other spiritual revelations that have helped us along the way. 

No comments: